Virtual machines can be in three different power states; Running, Stopped, and Stopped (Deallocated).
Virtual machines stop incurring costs in the Stopped (Deallocated) state only.
When shutting down a virtual machine from the Azure portal, they are automatically deallocated. When shutting them down from a Remote Desktop session or by using PowerShell, they simply transition to the Stopped state and still incur cost.
To trigger this recommendation, a virtual machine must fill the following criteria:
- Power State must be Stopped
- Resource is not on a Free tier
How to apply the recommendation
- Click View in Portal to open the Azure Portal on the correct resource.
- Select Overview in the menu.
- Click on Stop in the top header.